VOLUNTEER INTERNSHIP POSITION DESCRIPTION
Volunteer Position: Healthy Community Internship – Marketing and Social Media
Work Location: Special Olympics Florida, Healthy Community Tampa Bay
Commitment: Minimum of 10 hours per week for a full semester. Specific schedule to be agreed upon by Intern and Senior Outreach Manager. Internship will take place out of Healthy Community Tampa Bay site at 5420 W. Cypress St. in Tampa.
Job Summary: Learn about the planning and implementation of Special Olympics Florida Healthy Community Tampa Bay programs including awareness, education, structure and implementation of its initiatives for Special Olympics Florida athletes. Assist in the management of social media accounts and development of promotional materials to recruit clients and medical providers to assist with health screenings for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (ID/DD).
- Develop a thorough understanding of Special Olympics Florida and its programs.
- Meet weekly with an assigned mentor to develop an understanding of program management and health initiatives for Special Olympics Florida athletes.
- Learn about Healthy Community Programs.
- Create outreach/recruitment flyers, web content, success stories, postcards & other outreach materials as required
- Produce lively Social Media content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Assist with recruitment and outreach material for writing blogs, newsletters and publications
- Learn about the success of planning and implementing healthy community programs.
- Develop an understanding of issues of health and wellness for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Work with Special Olympics Florida staff to evaluate the success of the health and wellness programs.
- Help with marketing Healthy Community programs to athletes and county programs.
- Represent Healthy Community programs at outreach events such as health fairs.
- Other learning opportunities as assigned.
- Obtained or currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Fluent in English, written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Commitment to meeting assigned deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to maintain and protect privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to develop content and post to social media outlets, newsletter, blogs
Required Training and/or preparation:
- Special Olympics General Orientation Session
- Successful completion of Class A Volunteer background screening
- Successful completion of online Protective Behaviors Training
- Special Olympics Healthy Community Orientation
- Special Olympics Public Relations Training
- Learn about Special Olympics Florida programs
- Opportunity to make a positive difference in the community
- Valuable experience working in a team environment
- Possible school credit, contingent upon school approval
The relationship between Special Olympics Florida and interns is an “at will” arrangement, and I understand that my internship can be modified or terminated with or without notice or cause, at any time, at the option of Special Olympics Florida or at my option and that Special Olympics Florida may, in its sole discretion, decline to accept my application to become an intern with or without cause.