Communications Academic Intern Job Description
This position is located in the USF College of Public Health’s Office of Engagement and Constituent Relations (OECR), but will be fulfilled virtually until further notice. The team is primarily responsible for increasing awareness, strengthening affinity, and providing opportunities for engagement with the college. Specifically, the office includes four professional staff responsible for: alumni relations, communications, website, marketing, and videography. This person will report to the OECR’s writer (for writing duties) and the engagement officer (for social media duties).
The communications intern works closely with members of the OECR communications team to help promote the COPH. The student will write/produce stories supporting the COPH mission—improve the public’s health through advancing discovery, learning, and service— and support social media campaigns. The intern may also assist in the occasional production of graphic design elements, still photography, and video in support of COPH, sometimes on short notice and with immediate deadlines. Ideal applicants should enjoy interviewing sources for story development, be a good writer, and be adept with social media. Additionally, the intern must have a warm customer-service demeanor, be receptive to constructive criticism during the editing process, be able to execute in a collaborative creative environment, work rapidly and with some independence.
Initially, the position is for the fall and spring semesters. The position may be renewed annually until the student graduates based on student performance.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interview public health students, faculty, alumni, and staff and write stories for the college’s bi-weekly newsletter. Stories range from human interest to research to
- Capture photos, video, and audio to enhance story development and social media
- Liaison with COPH/USF Health social media staff to tweet about USF COPH news and
- Support social media by creating content for stories and health awareness
The student must be enrolled at USF.
- Major or minor in mass communications, journalism, or English
- Experience reporting and writing for other publications, including student newspapers
- Willingness to promote public health and help share the college’s story
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with USF Health and member colleges/schools
- Photography and videography skills
- Stellar customer-service attitude
- Strong grasp of social media (Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook)
Customer-service performance expectations
Courteous and helpful behavior toward students, alumni, faculty, staff, coworkers, donors, and external customers; professional verbal and written communications; and, ensuring a timely and thorough response to complaints and/or critiques.
Interested students should email firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the following:
- Current resume
- Cover letter addressing the interest in this position and how the student is uniquely qualified for it
- Examples of non-academic writing (essays, blogs, published articles—human interest and research), photography, and/or videography skills. URLs are