This is work preparing and editing manuscripts of draft legislation, amendments, and other publications of the Florida Legislature; marks manuscripts for grammar and usage, spelling, punctuation, style, and form; uses personal computers and relevant software; requires extended hours during each legislative session and up to twelve weeks preceding each regular session, which often includes evening and weekend hours.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Using the computer, prepares and edits manuscripts of draft legislation, amendments, and other publications according to accepted styles and formats.
- Edits manuscripts for grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, and form and consults with and offers advice and suggestions to other staff on these matters.
- Revises manuscripts to include changes and proofreads to ensure accuracy.
- Assists in developing specifications for computer programs for various publications.
- Assists in research for and preparation of draft legislation, amendments, and other publications.
- Assists in training of proofreaders and others as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of English grammar and usage, spelling, punctuation, and composition.
- Knowledge of personal computers and relevant software.
- Knowledge of legislative and legal terminology and usage.
- Knowledge of Florida Statutes, Laws of Florida, and other legislative publications.
- Ability to perform detailed work independently with a high degree of accuracy and quality of content.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to perform consistently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to proofread text for typographical and grammatical errors and to make necessary corrections.
- Ability to research legal documents and references.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in English or Journalism.
Professional or nonprofessional experience in editorial work, journalism, technical writing, publishing, or a related field may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
Commensurate with experience.
The Legislature offers a competitive benefits package.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
Qualified applicants should send a completed legislative application and resume to:
Office of House Administration
Florida House of Representatives
402 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Or email Lawanda.Williams@myfloridahouse.gov
Applications are available through the Florida Legislature’s website Online Sunshine at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us.
ACCOMMODATION FOR DISABILITY:
If an accommodation is needed for a disability, please notify Human Resources at (850) 488-6803.